Since Hubert bought the house, the plans and the design have changed quite a bit. It was clear that the original house had to undergo a major restoration work and that the layout did not fit the new requirements. The design process from the original layout to the final arrangement has been long (over a year purely designing) and it has required plenty of creativity. With this post we are beginning a series related to the design process in which we will walk through the biggest decisions that we have made and the reasons behind them.
In the summer of 2012 I entered the house for the first time as the official owner. Before purchasing it I had done an inspection of the structural integrity of the house, so I knew that there was some restoration work to be done. However, the work turned out to be a lot more than I had expected. Naively, at the moment of signing the contract it looked like a good deal to me, but later on I realized that I should have gotten a big discount instead.
When starting a project of this magnitude, investing in a selection of good quality tools is a must. In The Netherlands we have a saying which states that “having good tools is having the work half done”. We have put this saying into good use and purchased some very handy “toys” which were added to the collection! Continue reading
In April 2014 we started working on the foundation of the extension of the house. The first thing we did was to demolish the two attachments that the original house had in the rear because they were not incorporated in the new plans. Next step was to make room for the foundation itself. In order words, digging into the mud. Luckily we had put together a great team to help us: my parents and Chris.